Ventura Co. Sheriff’s Deputy Killed By Suspected DUI Driver On 101 Freeway
CBS Los Angeles - October 28, 2014 6:23 AM
CAMARILLO (CBSLA.com) — A Ventura County Sheriff’s deputy was killed early Tuesday morning by a a suspected DUI driver on the northbound Ventura (101) Freeway.
The incident took place while Deputy Eugene Kostiuchenko, 41, was completing a traffic stop around 1:15 a.m. near Lewis Road exit in Camarillo, officials said.
“Another unit arrived to assist the deputy. They completed their initial investigation and released that driver,” Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said. “Two backup deputies returned to their car and were sitting inside their patrol car while the initial deputy sheriff was returning to his car when a vehicle came by at a high rate of speed, struck him, killed him and side-swiped his car.”
The driver fled the scene but was involved in a solo-vehicle crash two miles away at the Las Posas Road onramp. Kevin Hogrefe, 25, from Camarillo, suffered minor injuries and was arrested for felony DUI and hit-and-run by the California Highway Patrol.
Kostiuchenko was an 11-year veteran of the force and died at the scene. He is survived by his wife and two step-sons, officials said.
“As you can imagine this is a sad day for all of us. Not only those in the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office but our brother police officers and the good citizens of Ventura County that realize what a tragic loss this is and another tragic life lost because of driving under the influence,” Dean said.
“Honest, hardworking, funny guy, amazing work ethic day or night and it’s a huge loss for all of us,” Sgt. Denise Silva said.
The incident was under investigation by the CHP.
The following closures were in effect as a result:
- Northbound 101 onramp at Lewis Road
– Northbound 101 offramp at Lewis Road
– Northbound 101 offramp at Las Posas Road
– Daily Drive between Lewis and Arneill Road
– Daily Drive at Glen
“These closures are going to be in place for several hours, and we’re just asking motorists to be patient and mindful of the fact that we’re investigating a very tragic incident where a deputy was killed in the line of duty,” CHP Officer Steve Reed said.
Recent AOCDS News Articles
- Jimmy Pequeno, Son and Brother of Two of Our Own, Passes Away (August 30, 2017)
- AOCDS Holds Give Back Night at Two Chili’s Locations to Benefit Memorial Fund (August 02, 2017)
- Investigator Edward Nichols (Ret.) (May 17, 2017)
- AOCDS in the News - OC Board of Supervisors Approves “Beds for Feds” Contract (May 10, 2017)
- AOCDS in the News - Voice of OC Breaks Down OCSD Leadership Assessment Survey Results (May 10, 2017)