We are reaching out to you to ask for your assistance in helping save the life of a fellow officer, who has dedicated the last 20 years to helping others through his law enforcement career. In December of 2016, Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Sergeant Jorge Chavez was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia and is now in desperate need of a bone marrow stem cell transplant. Since his diagnosis, the 42-year-old father of four has spent most of his time as a patient at the City of Hope Helford Clinical Research Hospital in Duarte. His search for a bone marrow transplant was featured on ABC7. Although more than 600 family members, friends and others have joined the Be The Match marrow registry, a match has still not been found. Chavez is remaining optimistic, but needs your help.
LASD deputies have joined forces with the Santa Ana Police Department and have organized a bone marrow drive here in Orange County. You are eligible to participate in saving Sergeant Chavez’s life if you are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 44
- Willing to help any patient in need
- In general good health
The bone marrow drive will be held on Saturday, February 18th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Santa Ana Police Department Community Room located at 60 Civic Center Plaza in Santa Ana.
We encourage you, your family members and your friends to come out and participate in the drive. We also urge you to share this information with your local agencies, community, churches, schools, etc.
If you are unable to attend the drive, a bone marrow swab kit can be mailed to you. The process takes just a few minutes. Visit http://bethematchfoundation.org/goto/SwabforJorge or https://bethematch.org/ for more information.
For updates on Sergeant Chavez, be sure to join the Facebook group “Be a HERO for Sergeant Jorge Chavez” at https://www.facebook.com/sgtjorgechavez/.
We thank you for your support during this critical time.
Recent AOCDS News Articles
- Jimmy Pequeno, Son and Brother of Two of Our Own, Passes Away (August 30, 2017)
- AOCDS Holds Give Back Night at Two Chili’s Locations to Benefit Memorial Fund (August 02, 2017)
- Investigator Edward Nichols (Ret.) (May 17, 2017)
- AOCDS in the News - OC Board of Supervisors Approves “Beds for Feds” Contract (May 10, 2017)
- AOCDS in the News - Voice of OC Breaks Down OCSD Leadership Assessment Survey Results (May 10, 2017)